Course A1 information
Basic informatione-slovak A1 consists of 10 topic-based units introducing day-to-day situations in the lives of the four main characters: Johanna, Zuzana, Róbert and Carlo. The course approximately corresponds to the textbook called Krížom-krážom – slovenčina A1 . It is one of the series of textbooks Krížom-krážom which have been published by Studia Academica Slovaca – The Centre for Slovak as a Foreign Language at Comenius University in Bratislava. It is used by students studying Slovak at many universities abroad, by compatriots and also by students at different language schools in Slovakia.
- to know the Slovak alphabet and pronunciation
- to be able to communicate in basic Slovak in everyday situations
- to know elementary greetings and phrases, simple vocabulary related to your personal characteristics, living, study, job and profession, description of interior and exterior (city), shopping, food, colours, numbers, phone call
- to use the most frequent grammatical structures; nominative and accusative case, grammatical gender, comparative and superlative forms of adjectives, pronouns, numerals, verbs and their negation
Primarily international students of Slovak and Slavic languages, the Slovaks living abroad or ex-pats, applicants for study programs in Slovakia which are part of development aid of the Slovak Republic, participants of the "Studia Academica Slovaca" Summer School and all people interested in studying Slovak language and culture.
- basic computer and Internet literacy
- English Pre-Intermediate level (A2)
You are free to use all the facilities of our e-slovak online course. Your learning in each lesson consists of several activities and exercises and you can work with them as many times as you need.Each lesson contains:
- dialogues with new words, phrases and illustrations, reading and listening followed by reading and listening comprehension self evaluation exercises,
- acquisition of vocabulary and grammar with self evaluation exercises,
- short final test
- audio assignment - you should make a short audio recording on the current topic (who are you, where are you from etc.) and we provide a feedback of your presentation
- written assignment - you should write a short essay on the current topic (description of your best friend, your dreamflat etc.) and we give you a feedback
On the course page you can also find:
- grammar guide (with grammar tabs)
- simple online Slovak-English dictionary
- Discussion forum
Certificate of Completion
There is an option of getting the Certificate of Completion of the e-learning course of Slovak as a foreign language.
Students who want to be awarded a certificate of completion have to follow all the instructions and to be on time with the following assignments:
- all 10 short tests at the end of each lesson - the pass rate is 80 percent and you have three attempts to pass the test,
- all 10 audio recordings and all 10 essays,
- a comprehensive test at the end of the course - the pass rate is 75 percent.
In total: 10 small lesson tests, 10 audio assignments, 10 short written assignments (essays) and 1 final comprehensive test (available 24th April - 7th May 2019)
Studia Academica Slovaca - The Centre for Slovak as a Foreign Language
Virtual room: ---
- 19th September - 25th December: Lessons 1-5
- 26th December - 8th January: Holiday :-)
- 9th January - 23rd April: Lessons 6-10
- 24th April – 7th May: final comprehensive test
- END of the Course: 7th May 2019
The optimal time to become familiar with the content of each lesson is three weeks. Every third week you will have access to a new lesson but still you can look back to the lessons you have already covered.
To make our communication effective and progressive, we suggest that you follow the recommended schedule.
We use the Learning Management System Moodle in our course.
Grammar guide is presented in PDF format. You will need Adobe Reader to view it (download it for free at http://get.adobe.com/reader/).
Some Assignments need to be submitted in .doc or .docx format, created by Microsoft Word, or with OpenOffice Writer (free download at www.openoffice.org).
To listen to the audiorecordings (dialogues) and to make your own audio recordings you need Adobe Flash installed in your web browser (get it for free at http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/).
For any technical problems with your computer related to the e-slovak access, please contact email@example.com.
General Terms of Service
Each user is allowed to use only ONE account.
Please be aware of the risks involved in posting detailed personal information on this or any website. You will not have any control over who can view this information and must take full responsibility for any problems that may arise.
Users are responsible for all the content they upload to the site, and accept liability for any infringement of copyright that may occur. We reserve the right to remove any content deemed inappropriate. You may not post (or link to) any vulgar, offensive, sexually explicit or demeaning content, especially those targeting any particular religious, ethnic, or gender-based group. Scamming, trolling and harassing behaviour is not allowed.
There are no course fees associated with the work in the e-slovak course. The course is free of charge.